Skip to main content

Friend Indeed

I've been told that my preface's before the story cause some of you not to read the story. So, without further ado, here's the story:

My wife dragged me into the dress shop knowing the only thing I’d have to do is twiddle my thumbs, waiting for her to try on two truckloads of sun dresses and blouses. She would always promise to not be more than a minute, but in all my years of marriage, a visit to a clothing store has never lasted less than a few hours. I hate shopping, but I love my wife, so I suppose one cancels the other out. And, at the end of the day, it’s wonderful to see her all dolled up in a dozen different designer dresses.

Even after years of marriage, her beauty could take my breath away. I was so afraid when I got married that her attractiveness would wear down smooth on me, but such has never been the case with Veronica. I’ve heard of it happening to other men. They grow so used to the beauty of their wives that it doesn’t seem beautiful anymore, simply average. Veronica could race my heart, simply by baring her shoulders and pulling her hair back. When she pulled her hair tightly into two pig tails, the coarse red hair at the end was just long enough to reach the base of her freckled neck and that would always drag my eyes down her slender shoulders. She’d turn around in a whirl and look up at me with her bright green eyes and I’d see love behind them. Biting her lower lip, she would look down, dragging my gaze down the front of her, her dress cut low enough to give a promise of firm, freckled breasts, but not reveal much beyond the shape and the soft bulbs peeking from the top. Maybe she wouldn’t do exactly that, but it would seem as though she did.

Enough of that. She gets me like that every time and I imagine no one wants to hear how beautiful I imagine my wife to be. No… I don’t imagine it. She really is that beautiful and more.

So, there I was, waiting for my dear Veronica to try on dresses. Every few minutes she would come out. This time, she was wearing a white dress that came down just above her knees. It was a strapless number that showed off her shoulders and the top of her chest. If my wife were blonde-haired and blue-eyed, she’d be the spitting image of Grace Kelly.

Some say gentlemen prefer blondes, but I prefer redheads.

“What do you think of this one?” Her voice was as delicate as her movement as she twirled around, showing off for both me and the mirror.

“I think it’s hideous. It’s the sloppiest rag I’ve ever seen you throw on.” Teasing her made up for the hours of waiting.

The rest of this story is available in the collection "Cupid Painted Blind" available on Amazon for the Kindle.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I give this one a B+. it didn't get an A because at first I thought it was going to be erotic. I had my penis ready for some raunchy readin'.

Popular posts from this blog

Salt Lake Comic Con 2017 Schedule

It's time for another year of Salt Lake Comic Con and another hectic schedule for me. But! that doesn't mean it's not a helluva lot of fun. I hope you're able to join me at any of these panels. Especially if you like Star Wars. And please, please, please come to my signing and visit. Get some books signed. I'd love that enormously. Here is my Thursday schedule: Everything here is a highlight. That first panel about behind the scenes of the prequels is with Pablo Hidalgo and I'll be asking him questions about what it was like to be there on set for most of the prequels. Then I'll be asking questions of Michael Biehn, who I've been a fan of since I was a little kid. Aliens and Terminator were favorites. If you want to ask him a question, please hit me up on Twitter with it. I will ask it at the panel. And you don't want to miss Fauxthentic History's Infinity Gauntlet live episode. It's going to be soooo good. Here is Friday:

The Missed Opportunities of Days Gone By

“Hello?” I said into the phone, accepting the call from a number I didn’t recognize. “Hey,” the feminine voice on the other replied, as though I should know the sound of her voice. At a loss, I said, “Can I help you?” “It’s Brooke.” Her name stopped me. It couldn’t possibly be her. We hadn’t spoken in years, a decade perhaps. “Brooke?” “Yeah, Brooke Baker. This is Mark, right?” Jesus Christ. It was her. “Yeah, it is Mark. Brooke. Wow. How are you? It’s been a long time since… well… since anything.” “I know.” “So, how are you doing?” “Okay, I suppose…” Her voice belied her words, though. Something was up. “I… It’s just been so long and I guess I wanted to hear your voice.” “I don’t think I had a number for you. Ever. I offered a couple of times, but…” “I was a brat back then.” And that’s how a random phone call turned into a two-and-a-half hour catch-up session. We spoke of everything under the sun: people we still knew, how different we were, h

The End of an Era and a New Beginning

It's been a long time coming, but I think an upgrade to my web presence was long overdue. I began this blog in 2005 and it's served me well over the last 13 years. My goal in those early days was to write a short story every month. Back then, that was the only writing I was doing. This website, then called "Bryan's Short Story Corner," got me into a regular writing habit. One that I still maintain today. I hoped it would help me get eyeballs on my words and, looking back at some of those early short stories, I shouldn't have wanted any of those eyeballs looking. Today, my Patreon fills that void. There is a dedicated group of supporters there that help subsidize my ability to write short stories on the regular. After I started publishing books, this blog morphed into a place to talk about my projects and writing and it worked well enough for that for a long time. But now I have Twitter and Medium for those functions and they have much cleaner and easi