Skip to main content

The Job

Here's a short film I was writing for a friend and his step-dad as some type of acting exercise but never finished. It would have been good. I found the beginning I wrote for it, but decided to rewrite it for the ol' short story blog.

I hope it doesn't suck too bad.

(Also, expect another short story proper in the next week or two...)

And lease bear with me on the format, blogger still just doesn't like any semblance of screenplay format.

I/E. CAR - CITY STREETS - DAY

SHADE drives through town, headed to a specific destination. He’s talking on his cellphone, presumably to his mother.

SHADE
...it was just great, I still can’t believe it.
(beat)
Yeah. That’s what I thought, too.
But when he just sort of hit
me with it, he said, this is
what he said, he says, “Son...”

He’s interrupted...

SHADE (CONT’D)
Yeah, totally. He called me “son.”
Can you believe that? Anyways, he says, he
says, uh, “Son, there is no one I would
rather have on the ground in Madrid.”
And then he grabs me, like, by the
shoulder, and he shakes my hand and
says, “In all my years of management,
I have never felt a boy your age was
ready for a position like this until you came along.”
(beat)
Yeah. Then he started going on
about how unprecedented this
was and how happy he was with me.
(beat)
Oh, totally.
(beat)
I know. I mean, I’ve never even
been outside the state, so yeah,
Madrid is certainly going to be a change of pace.

Shade maneuvers his car around a turn and pulls into the parking lot of a mid-sized hotel.

SHADE (CONT’D)
No, I didn’t call him. I kinda
wanted to surprise him.
(beat)
No. I’m at the hotel now.
(beat)
I know. He’s going to be doing flips.
(beat)
Sure. Okay. I love you, too, mom.
(beat)
Yeah, I’ll call and tell you what he says.

Shade hangs up the phone and puts it in his pocket.

Proudly, he exits the car, a new man.

EXT. HOTEL PARKING LOT - CONTINUOUS

Shade crosses the distance between his car and the office.

INT. HOTEL OFFICE - CONTINUOUS

A CLERK stands behind the front desk, watching TV. Apparently business is a little slow this time of day.

Shade comes in and asks:

SHADE
Hey man, is my dad around?

CLERK
I haven’t seen him around in, like... A half an hour?
(beat)
Hold on, let me check it out for you.

The Clerk gets on the phone and turns away from Shade, who is beaming.

CLERK (CONT’D)
(into phone)
Hey, you guys see the manager
down in housekeeping at all?
(beat)
Yeah?
(beat)
Where at?
(beat)
One-twelve? Okay, thanks.

He hangs up the phone and turns back to Shade.

CLERK (CONT’D)
I guess he’s re-training a maid or something.
They said he’s down in one-twelve.

SHADE
Hey, thanks alot, man.

Shade leaves, heading for room 112.

EXT. ROOM 112 - MOMENTS LATER

Shade knocks on the door as a token gesture as he walks right in...

...to see his dad, BOYD, the manager, scrambling to get his pants on while the maid, naked, dives for the bathroom door, locking it behind her.

Shade, in an instant, goes from prideful joy to defeated shock...

SHADE
Dad...?

Boyd gets his pants buckled and under control. He’s wearing slacks, a knit t-shirt and a suit jacket.

Now that he’s dressed, he can address the problem.

He approaches Shade with his hands up slightly, trying to calm Shade as one would talk to an animal.

BOYD
Now listen, son. This isn’t what it looks like?

SHADE
(backing up)
It’s not?

BOYD
No. It’s not what it looks like at all.

SHADE
Then what the hell is it, Dad?

BOYD
It’s... It’s nothing.

SHADE
Nothing?

BOYD
We were... It was...
(beat)
...It’s not that big of a deal.

SHADE
Not that big of a deal?

BOYD
Exactly. Now you’re talking
some sense. It’s not that big of a deal at all.

Shade pulls back further, searching for something to say.

SHADE
This... This just isn’t right...
BOYD
What is right, son? This is as
natural a thing as anything else...

SHADE
But mom...

BOYD
You’ll understand one day, when you
wake up every morning next to a person
you don’t even know anymore. And you
look into their eyes and there’s
nothing left. None of that joy...
It’s all just... Gone.

SHADE
So you fuck the help?

BOYD
It’s not as coarse as all that.

SHADE
Jesus fucking Christ.

BOYD
You’ll understand someday.
You’re just going to have to trust me.

SHADE
(disgusted)
Trust you?

BOYD
I’m still your father, goddamnit.

SHADE
You’re still her husband.

BOYD
I suppose that’s fair.

SHADE
Get fucked. I can't believe you.
I came all the way down
here to tell you I got the job.
(beat)
Now I just...

Shade has trouble finding words. He’s close to tears.

BOYD
Hey, it’s okay...

SHADE
(crying)
Fuck you!

And with that, Shade leaves his father, turning and leaving the room.

Boyd hangs his head. Shamed.

The toilet flushes from the bathroom and the other woman comes out, dressed now.

BOYD
I... I suppose you heard all that.

She nods.

Boyd crashes into a sitting position on the bed, his head buried in his hands.

She places a consoling hand on his back...

The sounds of him crying fade to nothing with the picture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Missed Opportunities of Days Gone By

“Hello?” I said into the phone, accepting the call from a number I didn’t recognize. “Hey,” the feminine voice on the other replied, as though I should know the sound of her voice. At a loss, I said, “Can I help you?” “It’s Brooke.” Her name stopped me. It couldn’t possibly be her. We hadn’t spoken in years, a decade perhaps. “Brooke?” “Yeah, Brooke Baker. This is Mark, right?” Jesus Christ. It was her. “Yeah, it is Mark. Brooke. Wow. How are you? It’s been a long time since… well… since anything.” “I know.” “So, how are you doing?” “Okay, I suppose…” Her voice belied her words, though. Something was up. “I… It’s just been so long and I guess I wanted to hear your voice.” “I don’t think I had a number for you. Ever. I offered a couple of times, but…” “I was a brat back then.” And that’s how a random phone call turned into a two-and-a-half hour catch-up session. We spoke of everything under the sun: people we still knew, how different we were, h

Salt Lake Comic Con 2017 Schedule

It's time for another year of Salt Lake Comic Con and another hectic schedule for me. But! that doesn't mean it's not a helluva lot of fun. I hope you're able to join me at any of these panels. Especially if you like Star Wars. And please, please, please come to my signing and visit. Get some books signed. I'd love that enormously. Here is my Thursday schedule: Everything here is a highlight. That first panel about behind the scenes of the prequels is with Pablo Hidalgo and I'll be asking him questions about what it was like to be there on set for most of the prequels. Then I'll be asking questions of Michael Biehn, who I've been a fan of since I was a little kid. Aliens and Terminator were favorites. If you want to ask him a question, please hit me up on Twitter with it. I will ask it at the panel. And you don't want to miss Fauxthentic History's Infinity Gauntlet live episode. It's going to be soooo good. Here is Friday:

The End of an Era and a New Beginning

It's been a long time coming, but I think an upgrade to my web presence was long overdue. I began this blog in 2005 and it's served me well over the last 13 years. My goal in those early days was to write a short story every month. Back then, that was the only writing I was doing. This website, then called "Bryan's Short Story Corner," got me into a regular writing habit. One that I still maintain today. I hoped it would help me get eyeballs on my words and, looking back at some of those early short stories, I shouldn't have wanted any of those eyeballs looking. Today, my Patreon fills that void. There is a dedicated group of supporters there that help subsidize my ability to write short stories on the regular. After I started publishing books, this blog morphed into a place to talk about my projects and writing and it worked well enough for that for a long time. But now I have Twitter and Medium for those functions and they have much cleaner and easi